01/22/2012 Lamb of God @ The National

Venue: The National
Location: Richmond, VA

Time: 7:30pm (doors7:00 pm)

Tickets: SOLD OUT!!! 20.00 (+ fees), 25.00 (day of show)
Openers: Kepone, The Hex Machine, and Before the Machine
Headliner: Lamb of God



Prelude to a show…

My friend and I were lucky enough to grab dinner at Gibson’s before the show, spend a few bucks and get in line for the early entry. I highly recommend doing this if you plan to grab the rail or have a favorite spot in the venue. With our game plan in hand (literally, we jotted it down on a napkin like a play by play in the game of our lives), we waited for a sign from security. I watched the opening to the steps just behind me while my friend watched up ahead. Then it happened. Security behind me shifted a trashcan blocking the stairway. I grabbed my friend’s arm and pulled her with me as I bolted for the opening. Yes! We scored the perfect spot for the show… on the floor but just above the chaos!
Four bands. All from Richmond. All worth the wait … ?




Initially, I was surprised to hear such a light band opening for one of the heaviest bands to come out of Richmond. The first two songs wafted over the crowd like lullabies but the tempo picked up from there. Despite dropping the mic and talking A LOT after every song, the crowd seemed to enjoy and/or tolerate them. Check them out for yourself… 


Second band up but unfortunately this crowd hungered for hard metal with a bite big enough to swallow their fists of fury. Just a few songs through the set, the crowd turned ugly and I don’t mean ugly in a good way. Boos? Sure, but these were not your ordinary fans. What began as “Get off the stage!” quickly turned to “You fucking suck!” and unified chants for Lamb of God. Clusters of middle fingers popped up here and there until a sea of “Fuck you!” waved back at the unstoppable Hex Machine.

Singer, Trevor Thomas, barked into the mic with fierce gusto but this crowd was already lost. Bassist, unnamed on any site I can find, … oh you know what? Fuck it. This band sucked. The crowd went as far as to turn their backs on them while they were playing! I’ve never seen that happen. I liked it!
On to better things… 



(Review soon ... sorry so slow. Life happens.)


(Review soon ... here's a set list!)

No comments: