12/29/2013 GWAR @ The National

Venue: The National
Location: Richmond, Virginia


Time: Show 8:30pm (doors 7:30 pm)
Tickets: 20.00 (+ fees), 25.00 (day of show)

Openers: Gritter, Battlecross, Iron Reagan
Headliner: GWAR


I opted to arrive later than usual for this show. Three opening bands is a lot to take in. It can be hit or miss sometimes with openers. Most of the time, the openers cannot hold a candle to the headliner and I'm left being respectful of the band's guts to get on stage in the first place... but that's about it. Then there are the rare moments I hear a band and wonder how they've managed to stay in the shadows.

When I walked into The National, the metal of Gritter was already pounding through the venue. I grabbed a quick snap shot of the merch booth and headed inside. All the prime spots taken I hung around a side rail by the bar with plenty of space for me to skooch in as the night went on. The venue was roughly 40% full and a large opening for a pit on the floor was already in progress.

Local Richmond band Gritter (formerly Rube) held a release party back in the summer for their newest album Welcome to the Sink Hole. The costs of pressing the album was paid through a Kickstarter campaign held in the Spring of 2013. I only caught the last two songs from Gritter, but I can see why fans would donate the 3K needed to press this album. The songs were strong and tight and LOUD! Though the lineup of this band has changed frequently, you would think these guys had been playing together for years.

Up next, Battlecross from Michigan (the only non-Richmond band in the lineup). I guess I should let you know, metal and thrash are not on my list of genres I see regularly. I like to hear the lyrics clearly and enjoy the togetherness of lyrics and instruments. Having said this, I fully expected to hear garbled, deep throated yelling with one song sounding like the next. Battlecross delivered metal with lyrics and melodious songs I could feel. Oh, don't get me wrong. They deliver plenty of deep throated yelling and drums I can barely fathom, but it all comes together and pushes through the crowd like a dagger soaked in honey. Lead singer, Kyle Gunther, encouraged the crowd to form a circle pit, but it's too early in the night for these kids to do that kind of moving. The pit started circling a bit but died out into a handful of guys pushing each other around with little effort. Overall, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Battlecross and would recommend them to any metal lover.

Here's where my earlier comment about seeing a band and wondering how they've managed to stay under the radar comes in to play. In the dark of the venue and to the sound of "Hail to the Chief", Iron Reagan entered the stage. Another Richmond metal band? Maybe but if you haven't seen Iron Regan, you're missing a fun night. Lead singer, Tony Foresta, bantered with drummer Ryan Parrish throughout the show. At some point it is decided the band plays "sensual thrash" and as Foresta described it "horny metal that makes you heavy." Um, ok. I more thought of it as metal with a definite old school Richmond sound. This sound is very audible on "Cycle of Violence" and "Drop the Gun."  Foresta, asked for a "real" circle pit and this time, the crowd paid attention. A thick ring of guys circled in fast succession with moshing like I used to see when it meant more than falling into each other. Richmond, you've still got it! Iron Reagan tossed in a cover of Slayer and Cannibal Corpse for good measure which, of course, kept the circle pit in violent motion. You can catch Iron Reagan Tuesday, January 14th at Banditos Burrito Lounge... oh and it's FREE!

Time for GWAR. I saw GWAR once when I was 17 years old at The Flood Zone in Richmond. (Remember that place? Here is a history lesson.). All I remember from that show was amputations, mosh pits, and lots of blood. After this show, one thing is for sure, little has changed. No other metal band can bring this many white tshirts to a metal show. If blood spray (amoung other bodily fluids) was the goal of the evening, no fan left disappointed. The show opened to Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" blaring over the speakers. Throughout the evening GWAR managed to decapitate an alien, de-breast the Queen of England and disembowel Justin Bieber (which oddly resembled Vanilla Ice). GWAR remains a Richmond favorite. Oh, and the music's not bad either. They just released Battle Maximus this past September and as well as a GWARtoon in which Oderus loses his objectionable side and wants to make the world a better place. Definitely worth the watch.


How GWAR plays instruments flawlessly while wearing, what must be, several pounds of costume is beyond me. The crowd enjoyed every minute of ear shattering metal. Oderus gave a shout out to the late Cory Smoot and cautioned the earthlings to fear his wrath as he watches down on all of them.

What a night! I wanted to catch pictures of previously white shirts now soaked in blood as the fans exited the venue, but work called the next morning so I bailed a few songs short of the end. I did however catch this car in the parking deck when I arrived. Props to you!

No comments: