04/03/2014 Weezer @ The National

Venue: The National
Location: Richmond, Virginia



Time: 7pm (doors) - 8pm (show)
Tickets: SOLD OUT

Openers: The Last Internationale
Headliner: Weezer

Set List

This show sold out in just a few hours. Did you get tickets? I had a short moment of panic when I realized I was an hour late for the release, but this is me we're talking about. Big thanks to XL102 for pulling this together. Great start to my 2014 concert year!

The openers, The Last Internationale, were definitely worth seeing. I hope you arrived early enough to the show to catch this powerful band. Dalila Paz bellowed notes I have not heard since Pat Benatar or Ann and Nancy Wilson. I believed she meant every note and felt every painful lyric. She has that kind of voice. You'll swear you've heard shades of her before in singers far beyond her years. Guitarist Edgey Pires and drummer Brad Wilk (RATM) are a solid match for her depth. I rarely hear an opening band of this caliber.


There was no shortage of Weezer fans on hand last night as Rivers and band flung hit after hit into the audience. The crowd danced, sang and threw back every lyric.  The show opened with "My Name is Jonas", "Hash Pipe", and "Perfect Situation." I love a band that knows their audience. I am sure this crowd could have handled new songs peppered with hits, or hits peppered with obscure b-sides only "real" fans know. Weezer played one new song (just one new song!), "Back to the Shack", from the upcoming album in progress.

I watched an old video of "Undone - The Sweater Song" before heading to the show. A few things I did not realize: this song has been around longer than my son, these boys were only about as old as my son is now, and they were all cute as buttons then, too.

This show was flawless with "Say It Ain't So", "Photograph", and a cover of "Song 2" by Blur. The encore was a short two song set ending the evening with "Buddy Holly."


Weezer has not released new music since 2010 with Hurley, but Rivers mentioned the album in progress during last night's show. Hopefully we'll see a release of this album later this year or early 2015. 

No comments: